We all know that it is better to prevent a disaster than trying to fix it. By keeping your boiler in good health, you can avoid the breakdown of your boiler which can prove to be very expensive. In fact, properly maintaining your boiler is one of the best ways to extend its lifespan and also save money in the long run.
Given below are some of the best boiler maintenance tips that you can follow to keep your boiler in good condition.
1. Service your boiler annually – Getting your boiler serviced annually is one of the best ways to keep it functional and efficient for many years. It is also important for your safety. A professional gas safe engineer can thoroughly check the condition of your boiler and prevent any disaster before they happen. By doing some performance checks, they can even determine whether your boiler is running at full efficiency and help you to keep the cost of running the boiler at a minimum.
The best time to get your boiler checked is just before the winter months when they will be used heavily.
2. Check your boiler for leaks – It is important to periodically check your boiler for any leaks. Boiler leaks can be costly to fix but if you spot them early on you still save some money by preventing a big problem.
If you have a steam boiler, simply turn on the thermostat all the way to the high temperature setting in order to spot any leaks. You can check the main vent of the boiler, any exposed pipe or even the floor or area around your boiler. If you find a leak, immediately call a professional to repair it.
3. Flush your boiler semi-annually – Hard water contains minerals that can cause sludge to build up inside the boiler system. This can severely increase the energy consumption of your boiler, thereby decreasing the efficiency of the whole system. In fact, it can even damage the inner components if the problem is left unchecked.
Thus, it is advisable to have your boiler flushed by a professional every six months to keep your heating system running in good condition.
4. Periodically check the pressure of your boiler – Your boiler may not work in its optimal condition if the pressure inside the system gets too low. Generally, a pressure between 1 to 1.5 bar is considered good. However, you should still check the guidebook or manual that came with your boiler to know the exact pressure.
You can check the pressure of your boiler by simply checking the dial or pressure gauge in front of your boiler. If the pressure is low, top it up following the instruction manual. Be careful filling the pressure as you can damage the pressure release valve if you are not careful. If you somehow damage that part, you should call a gas safe engineer to fix it.
5. Provide adequate ventilation space – It is important to keep your boiler in a well-ventilated space. To know more details about the ventilation and space requirements of your particular make and model, you should refer to the guidebook.
In some situations, you may still need to conduct an emergency boiler repair service. A&C Heating and Plumbing is one of the best boiler repair service provider in London. You can contact us 24/7 if you need any assistance related to boilers.